Long before I wrote words for a living, my love of sales started at a famous department store just off London's Regent Street. Seasons spent selling racks of shirts, ties and cufflinks to men and women who, minutes before, hadn't known they needed them...
In my view, that's the best possible training for a professional persuader.
After that, I polished up my direct selling skills by launching the new Liberty luxury lifestyle catalogue, and writing it too.
Now, when it comes to advertising your products with wit, charm and psychological finesse - or just Plain English working hard behind Big Ideas - I like to believe those retail years still show.
- British Gas
- Keeping customers cosy with a simple die-cut doordrop >>>
- What happens when your boiler goes out? A flickering magnet reminds you how easily you can fix it >>>
- Some tabloid press wraps look like advertising. Not this one >>>
- The most incredible espresso loyalty experience... for only 17p per pack >>>
- 6 holiday postcards, 5 different voices >>>
- Welcome home, wherever you are: cross-selling super-premium properties with an 80-page coffee-table portfolio >>>
- Internet access that's as painless as a stick-on tattoo >>>
- MORE TH>N Home Insurance
- Complete with bouncy kids, DRTV that's a night in the life of a duvet >>>